Model agencies are well-known to be picky about the models they hire. Models are trained vigorously – especially before a fashion show. But how do you look like a supermodel? Besides being blessed with great genetics, you also have to have the perfect diet and fitness routine. In addition to working out consistently, many models would agree and say that diet is a key part of their strategy to looking good. They eat really clean and working out is part of their life.
Models are the ultimate trendsetters when it comes to being trim, so it’s important for them to achieve expert balance in their lives by knowing when to indulge now and again.They are looked to for their diet and exercise advice. However, what we need to realize is a lot of these women were born with great genetics with very fast working metabolisms. Unfortunately, other are not endowed with it, and they have to work hard to maintain their fit bodies. In preparation for big runway shows, some models take diets to the extreme.
Some use detox teas, while others make sure they stay energized with coffee. This is an industry that is tough on the body.
Here is just an example of the models’ diet and exercise plan.
Most of the models eat low GI (Glycemic Index), not processed, real food 95 % of the time.
Breakfast: Egg whites, oatmeal, vegetables, fruits, organic yogurt. Lean protein and slow-burning, complex carbs.
Lunch: You’ll usually see a model backstage sipping on a green smoothie. A green smoothie includes water and a range of leafy greens (spinach, lettuce, etc. ). The darker the veggie, the more vitamin it holds. So imagine how much you’d be getting from a green smoothie. Another would be salad (raw, or slightly steamed) topped with chicken or turkey, fish (such as tuna or salmon), or lean meat.
Dinner: Eat vegetables (steamed spinach, cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli asparagus) with fish, chicken, or turkey. Sweet potato as well – a big favorite of one of the Victoria’s Secret Angels, Miranda Kerr!
Snacks: Low-glycemic fruits like berries, cherries, pears, apples, kiwi. An apple with a spoon of peanut butter is a healthy treat as well. A nut mix like almonds, peanuts, cashews is highly suggested. You can buy this at Woolworths and other supermarkets. Please also make sure it’s salt and sugar-free. You can also have a hummus with cucumber slices or celery, or a small portion of a leftover meal.
Victoria Secret Angel Josephine Skriver exercise tips
“As a model, you need to be in shape all year round, but I do amp up more for the Victoria’s Secret show – usually less cardio but more toning. So a lot of boxing at Gotham Gym in New York. I’ve also moved into a building with an Olympic-sized swimming pool, so I like doing that when I wake up.”
Working as a model with modeling agencies can be great fun and is often hugely rewarding. It allows you to meet new people, learn how to relax in front of the camera and earn some extra money too. However, becoming a model is not as easy as we think it is. In the modeling industry, appearance is everything. Your appearance must conform to industry standards. For instance, female models should be 5’8” or taller and male models should be 5’11” or taller. Also, your weight must also be properly proportioned to your height. However, there are a few exceptions to weight standards, such as for plus-size modeling.
Learn how to become a model
- Research agencies in the area you want to model in. You can do this with the help of an internet search engine or browse through your phone book.
- While there are many agencies today now have websites, there are still other who you may have to call to find out what they want. Delve into the requirements they suggest and types of models they represent. Also, see what photos they want.
- Visit a photographer to get professional headshots taken. If you cannot afford or do not want to have photos taken professionally, have a friend take some pictures of you or use a passport photo booth for the head shot. Models need a variety of headshots, including closeup headshots, quarter-body shots, side profiles and full body shots. Your photographs must reveal your natural beauty. Keep the makeup to a minimum and avoid excessive photo retouching.
- Create a modeling resume. The resume should include your demographics, including height, weight, hair color, eye color, clothing sizes and shoe size. Include all modeling experience you have, whether it is professional experience or amateur. And explain, briefly, why you want to be a model and why you think you have what it takes.
- Apply for modeling jobs and make sure you do this the right way. Make sure to check with agencies before sending your application through e-mail because agencies receive a lot of junk email and some admit to losing new model applications due to cluttered inboxes. So you may also opt into the regular mail.
- Prepare for your interview if you get one. Practice your photo face in front of a mirror, practice your walk and flick through magazines to get some idea of how models pose.
- Every aspiring model must know how to accept rejection. If you’ve been rejected, then just repeat the process provided you wait a decent period between applications. Everyone should learn from their mistakes. Change your look. Tone up. Create online and printed versions of your portfolio. Freelance for some experience in-between applications. It may be necessary to do modeling work for free or for a low rate. This experience helps you to build your resume. Apply by mail instead of e-mail. Whatever you think may have held you back last time, change it this time!